Monday, September 27, 2010

Baptism for the Baptists...

Yesterday we celebrated the baptism of five new members to the Baptist church that I am attending here in Slovakia. If I were to try to describe my day in words, I think it would take the entire day to write. Instead, I will give you my day in numbers. We start at 7:45am, when I get up, stretch, eat breakfast, and walk to church, which starts at 9am.

At church we had:

1 sanctuary with standing room only,
4 Bible readings,
7 prayers,
5 testimonies,
5 baptisms,
19 songs (or that I counted),
4 sermons (5, if you count the fact that one was in English and was translated into Slovak),
1 Communion,
1 set of announcements, and
3.5 hours squished between the oldest Slovak man and woman in Lučenec, neither of whom spoke a word of English.

After the service, we had:

1 hour wait in line for lunch,
2 bowls of soup,
4 pieces of white bread with meat (a typical Slovak meal),
3 floors of activities (games for kids, lunch, and desserts/drinks),
Too many desserts that I would be ashamed to put the number here,
4 or 5 long conversations in broken English and Slovak, and
1/2 hour helping clean up.

I got home around 4:45pm. And I was definitely not the last to leave. Fun, but exhausting... What a day!

1 comment:

  1. Zaujímavý opis - hmm, now I see why math is so important for you :-)))
    NATA
    Have a good time

    ReplyDelete